20.5.08

Antici---pation: MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN, MY BLUEBERRY NIGHTS, THE FOOT FIST WAY

Here are three movies I'm looking forward to that may not make it out to my neck of the woods in South Carolina. A shame, really, since they're likely to be just the proper filler for my glutton on summer blockbusters.

1) MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN
This is the first adaptation of a Clive Barker story on-screen in almost a decade (it may actually be more than that, now that I think about it), and I cannot wait. I like the body-horror genre quite a bit, but with Cronenberg unlikely to make a return to his roots anytime in the very near future, Barker's voice will be extremely welcome indeed. Always inventive and visceral, he comes up with some out-there ideas and "wacko" concepts. MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN looks like no exception.



2) MY BLUEBERRY NIGHTS
Wong Kar-Wai's films have a delicate touch, and are mostly romantic, but from a fairly realist-fairytale perspective, meaning I don't know what, exactly. See IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE or CHUNGKING EXPRESS for examples of what I'm not clearly relating to you. This is his debut in the English language, and it's also the acting debut of songstress Nora Jones, who I am rather fond of anyway, so why shouldn't I want to see this movie? It promises to be a waifer-thin, light pastry of a good time, and with the pedigree it has, I have no doubt it will be a favorite of mine.



3) THE FOOT FIST WAY
I really haven't looked too much into this one, but I will say that it looks absolutely hilarious in mostly all the wrong (and best) ways. Ignore the "Will Farrell and Adam McKay" marketing (I like them,but c'mon...use some imagination), and try to take it all in.


No comments: